Not all protein powder is the same. Whey protein powder is somehow different. It is highly nutritional.
So, what is whey protein?
Whey protein is a type of protein, that contained in whey. Whey is the watery portion of the curd, separated from the curd during cheese production.
This protein is basically founded in milk after the fatty portion coagulates separately, but the protein in the watery portion remains.
Let me clear it a little more for you, you must have seen water floating at the top of curd container, which is actually whey protein.
What is Whey Protein Powder?
Whey protein powder is typically made from whey protein, which is from the liquid portion of the curd. This powder can be taken with any kind of liquid such as water. It can be used as a dietary supplement, as it is very easy to digest.
There are three main types of whey protein powder, 1. concentrate (WPC), 2. isolate (WPI), and 3. hydrolysate (WPH). Concentrated whey protein powder is the cheapest one.
These are usually used by athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness freak people.
Whatever let’s see the benefits of this powder.
What are the benefits of Whey Protein Powder?
- It is a rich source of protein: It contains high quality of protein. Whey protein is a complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- It promotes muscle growth: Consumption of whey protein powder can help you to grow muscle strength. Increasing fat in our body part is dangerous, but with protein supplements like protein powder, it is quite safe to build up muscles.
- Prevents muscle loss: It can prevent age-related muscle loss and maintain the strength.
- It helps in the weight loss process: Whey protein powder helps to weight loss, as it suppresses the appetite, reduces the calorie intake. In addition, it boost the metabolism system, therefore it helps in the weight loss process.
- It may lower high blood pressure: A complete protein is known to lower the high blood pressure, as it has bioactive peptides. But there is no such confirmation about this matter.
- This can treat Type-2 Diabetes: It has a slight effect on blood glucose levels. You can have whey protein powder as a treatment of Type-2 diabetes.
- Increases the antioxidant defenses: This protein is well known for its antioxidant properties. However, it reduces oxidative stress and cutting down the risk of many chronic diseases.
- It is very effective in lowering cholesterol: This supplement lowers the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream. In addition, it decreases the risk of coronary heart diseases.
Whey protein powder supplements can help you in many ways, but it has some drawbacks too. As it is a supplement, you must have natural protein foods along with it, such as eggs, milk, chicken, etc.
The Bottom Line:
Eating too much whey protein powder can cause different health problems, such as nausea, kidney problem, diarrhea, digestive problem, pain, etc.
It is a suitable food for those people who want to lose weight in a healthy manner.
Unless you are lacking protein or without any guidance or recommendation from a fitness expert, you should not have this or any kind of protein powder.
When you are looking for this powder to buy, always go with organic products.