What does the sun do to our skin?
Best sunscreens protect your skin from harmful lights of Sun. Sunlight is a must for our skin health as well as for bone. Because the Sun is the main source of vitamin D, need our bone formation. But the ultraviolet ray of Sun is very dangerous to our skin. The heat can damage our skin cells. Sunburn, tanning is normal nowadays among women and even in men. So, it is important to decide the best sunscreen to choose.
Though the melanin pigment of our skin protects the skin from ultraviolet ray, today’s polluted environment and global warming increase the harshness of Sun, which melanin cannot protect properly. In this harsh heat of summer, we rarely care about our skin. Especially our busy life does not allow us to take care of our skin in all way.
Sun tanning is a threat to our beauty. It enhances premature aging, dullness in skin, darkening of the skin. Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet ray can cause skin cancer. Sunlight penetrates our upper layer of skin and damages the inner layer from inside. Which is very difficult to recover later.
One must protect theirs exposes the area of skin while going out. Wearing musk or having a scarf on the face is not enough to protect the skin. Using sunscreen is a must in summer. But the good quality of sunscreens to buy is even more important.
So, what kind of sunscreen we should choose?
A sun protection factor (SPF) is the key component a sunscreen must-have. SPF is a measurement, that how well a sunscreen can protect our skin from UV-rays. Higher SPF does not mean higher protection. Dermatologists suggest using SPF15 to SPF30 according to your skin quality.
- If your skin gets burn after 10 minutes of exposure, then you should use SPF15 type sunscreen. Depends on the intensity of the sunlight and the duration of staying in the sun. SPF usually protects the skin from UVB exposure it cannot prevent UVA radiation.
- Use the proper amount of sunscreen in the exposure area. You can use sunscreen in hands and feet as well.
- Most of the people thought higher the SPF higher will be its protectiveness. But this is not true at all. Maybe its protect the skin very sharply but it damages the skin too.
- A better way to protect your skin is reapplying the sunscreen after 2-3 hours.
- That SPF creams higher than 50+ pay people a false sense of guard, apply them less as much as possible or stay out longer and get more skin damage.
- Those powder sunscreens are kind of harmful, it could enter in the lung if the particles are small enough. So the EWG (Environmental Working Group) recommends avoiding the sprays until the results of further testing are in.
It blocks about 90-93% of UVB rays. It roughly allows 7-8 photons out of 100 photons to the skin. Which is very much effective and good for the skin.
It blocks about 95-97% of UVB rays. It allows 3-4 out of 100 photons to the skin.
This summer, don’t let the skin give way to the antics of the sun, by applying this sunscreen from Lotus. With SPF 20, PA + UVA and the presence of fruit extracts, this sunscreen protects your skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun alongside maintaining the youthful glow of your skin. This is the best sunscreen to choose for fair and normal skin.
It blocks about 98% of UVB rays. But it is harmful to your skin. You also need sun as our skin absorbs vitamin-D.
SPF selection guide according to your skin tone
- Very fair:
SPF30 is recommended for 1 hour outdoor.
For fair skin, SPF15 is recommended for 1 hour. Fair skins burn easily.
SPF15 is suitable for light color skin.
Medium color skin burns minimally, SPF8 to SPF14 is recommended.
Dark skin types are always recommended to use SPF8. Because it’s rarely burned.
Reapply at least every 2 to 3 hours or as directed on the package.
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Block Cream – SPF 30 PA++, this sunscreen protects your skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun alongside maintaining the youthful glow of your skin. This is one of the best sunscreen to choose from.
SPF according to your skin type:
- For normal skin, SPF30 sunscreen is best.
- A sunscreen with a moisturizer is advisable for dry skin type.
- For those who have oily skin type can go for SPF50 sunscreen.
- SPF15 is best for all skin type or combination type skin.
So is “wear sunscreen” still smart?
Yes. While there is no such confirmation about whether chemical sunscreen cream and they are harmful or not. There is nobody who says that sunscreen is not good for the skin. Even including the EWG (Environmental Working Group), recommend using sunscreen.
The best sunscreen to choose depends on your skin type. Higher SPF does not give better protection. A sunscreen moisturizer is always good for dry skin types. Maintain the timing of reapplying sunscreen.