For the last 20 years, Noni juice has gained many followers as a healthy beverage. Even celebrities like Miranda Kerr and Shilpa Shetty among others have acknowledged it as their secret drink. Hence, this only increases everyone’s
curiosity about the origin and makings of Noni juice.
This juice is chock-full of potent antioxidants and provides several health benefits. It is also great for your skin health.
Noni juice is extracted from the fruit of the small tropical evergreen plant Morinda citrofolia. A native of South East Asia and Polynesia. Its cultivation is branched out to South America and Caribbean Islands owing to its health benefits.
All the parts of the plant including the fruit, leaves, seed, root, and bark are consumed as food and traditional medicine by locals of Polynesia, South- East Asian communities and Pacific Islanders. The Noni plant was valued by Polynesian healers for centuries prior to the arrival of Europeans with Tahitian healers.
Traditional Tahitian healers believe the Noni plant to be useful for a wide range of maladies. The plant is known to contain biologically active components rich in antioxidants, antimicrobial, anticancer and immune-stimulating properties.
The principal part of the plant is the ripe fruit that is taken as a dietary supplement for many chronic diseases. The flavor of the fruit is often associated with bad cheese and vomit like odor.
Noni fruit is available in the global market as juices mixed with other fruits. To dilute its bitter taste and also as dietary supplements.
The largest markets for Noni products are North America, Europe, Japan, Mexico, Asia, and Australia. Mainly sold as juice but also often marketed in a fresh, unprocessed form in both formal and informal markets.
The most popular one is Tahitian Noni juice used by thousands around the world with effective results. Tahitian Noni juice contains no artificial additives, no preservatives, and no artificial sugar. Tahitian Noni juice was one of the first whole foods approved under the European Union’s 1997 novel food regulations.
Preliminary studies show Tahitian Noni Juice helps maintain the good central nervous system and supports strong bones.
CONSTITUENTS OF NONI JUICE:
Noni fruit juice can be roughly compared to apple juice. In its nutritional analysis, it has somewhat lower calories because it has three-fold fewer carbohydrates compared to apples.
The bioactive compounds of Noni are present in different parts of the plant. Noni fruit contains up to 90% water and solid components formed by fibers. Along with metal, and amino acids favorably, Noni juice is also low in protein, fat and has no cholesterol.
In addition, Noni is a good source of vitamin C (53.2mg/100ml) and comparatively high potassium content (150mg/100ml). Potassium promotes healthy heart rhythm, nerve function, energy production, and fluid balance.
Twelve compounds have been already identified out of which nine have been quantified. These are flavonoids, phenolic compounds, phenolic acid, iridoids, and vanillin. In addition, the major compound in Noni juice has been identified as iridoids next to flavonoids.
Above all, these compounds show tremendous antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, their presence aids in cardiovascular problems, especially preventing hypertension, atherosclerosis.
A wide range of polysaccharides is also identified in Noni juice that is the source of immune-stimulatory, anti-bacterial, anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
A new compound has also been recently classified called scopoletin that is known to show a positive effect in lowering blood pressure, allergies, sleep disorders, migraine, depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
Moreover, it also acts as an anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial agent.
POTENTIAL HEALTH BENEFITS OF NONI JUICE
1. It is evident that acute consumption of this juice contributes to decreasing blood pressures as well as heart rate in young healthy adults.
2. A recent study in March 2019 supports the consumption of Noni fruit juice to regulate elevated blood sugar levels in patients diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.
3. This is abundantly rich in antioxidant activity and its interaction with immune and inflammatory pathways may answer many of the observed.
Benefits of Noni juice including –
- Protection against tobacco smoke toxicities.
- DNA protection.
- Normalization of blood lipids.
- Improvement of joint pain.
- Increased physical endurance.
- Increased immune activity.
- Weight management.
- Maintenance of bone health in women.
- Improved gum health.
4. Noni juice was found to be an effective anti-inflammatory agent in women with dysmenorrhoea (painful menstruation). Noni has been found to possess analgesic and sedative effects that are nonaddictive.
5. It helps in boosting the immune system. Due to stress, environmental pollutants and other complications in daily life immune system weakens down. But Noni juice despite these factors supports and maintains our immune
6. Above all, it supports the body’s natural defenses, aids in natural aging and defends our circulatory system.
TAHITIAN NONI JUICE
Morinda produces the most widely used Tahitian Noni juice. Morinda is the worldwide leader in Noni research with 60 Noni-related patents issues.
In addition, consumers of Tahitian this Juice have reported a positive effect on their health. Including increased stamina, fewer infections, improved sleep, digestion as well as less prone to allergies and fatigue.
- 89% Morinda citrofolia pure Noni puree from French Polynesia.
- 11% Blueberry and grape juice concentrate.
- Iridoids/phenol compounds: 30mg/60ml.
- Calories : 47 calories/100ml.
- Total carbohydrate: 11g/100ml.
- Sugar: 8g/100ml.
- Vitamin C : 3-25mg/100ml.
- Folic acid: 6% of the RDI.
- Biotin:17% of the RDI.
- Vitamin E :0.25-1.0IU/100ml.
- Potassium :30-150mg/100ml.
In a study, it has been shown that consuming 750 ml of Noni juice per day is safe. A report of liver toxicity from 2005 says that it happened of over-consuming this juice.
There have been some reports related to liver toxicity but the results are still unclear. Since potassium content is a bit higher in Noni juice, if not consumed in proper dosage one can suffer from hyperkalemia.
Additionally, for patients of chronic kidney diseases, this juice is highly prohibited, as it contains high potassium.
In conclusion, Noni juice is a safe drink with proven extraordinary health benefits. It contains antioxidants, vitamin C and many other components that can help in our mental and physical betterment.
Experiments are still being conducted to uncover its mystery and the way it interacts in our body. But from first-hand reports of Noni juice consumers, we can agree that this is indeed is a health asset.
However, the risk regarding its high potassium content can be managed by taking in the proper dosage. Therefore, I will recommend everyone to buy this now and enjoy its benefits.